Monday, October 24, 2016

Blog # 5: Review of Pieces of Herself

 
The first time I explored this piece was at the beginning of the semester. I found it to be a lot less enjoyable than my other readings. Although some of the other readings lacked the traditional beginning, middle and end, most of them still contained a story. Pieces of Herself has the reader do alot more self interpretation about the piece. The strongest part of the piece is when the beginning states "her friends said she needed to "find" herself. And sure enough, when she started looking, she found pieces of herself everywhere."

When I first went through the story, I felt just thrown in and just started moving things around. I thought it was pretty cool that I could drop the things on the figure but I expected a particular design and for everything to fit at once. I guess that's like my experience reading e-lit. I have been taking pieces and interpreting them piece by piece and determining how they connect with each other.

Upon a second walk through, I noticed that there are actually instructions at the bottom on how to play and it states its a game. I am not sure if I noticed that the first time but nevertheless it helps to know that. I think the voice and music were really random. Sometimes if you pressed one thing and then moved around a little and then you wouldn't hear her properly because of layered noises. At one point I pressed the apple and a preacher was telling the story of Adam and Eve and I moved my screen over to the truck and a loud song started playing and I could no longer hear the preacher. I kept looking for signs I'm on the right track and didn't leave anything behind.

Sometimes I liked the little parts of songs that would play. I had to download All I have to do is dream by Everly Brothers after playing the game. I felt at times I needed patience to make sure I heard everything an item may contribute to the story. I especially couldn't continue once I heard a song playing. Sometimes the multiple noises were annoying.

The piece reminded me about a discussion that was held in one of my classes. Basically, we talked about how we have so many roles as human beings and we have to continuously adopt all the time. In this walkthrough experience I could hear the previous things I had pressed-the frog making noises and water dropping. Even though I couldn't hear the author talking anymore I still could remember all the things she has floating around in her body as she travels different places. I think this would make a nice short film. The funniest part to me was the one boob on the building and how she spoke about cleavage. Once you finished,that was it. I didn't really like that but that's a common thing in e-lit.
Here's my finished figure below:


No comments:

Post a Comment