Saturday, September 17, 2016

Blog #1: My Response to "Like Stars in a Clear Night Sky"

My Response to "Like Stars in a Clear Night Sky"
By Andaiye Hall

Once I started reading, I immediately fell in love with this piece. Originally, I was going to write regarding Red Riding Hood by Donna Lieshman. I like the feeling I got when I started reading the story. Instead of just starting to read, I had to press Enter. I had to double check with myself to make sure that I was really ready to enter this new world/dimension. The sentences appeared on the screen and the narrator spoke in Arabic. They had a very soothing voice and seemed to say the intro in a calm melody.This added to the effectiveness of how the story's message was relayed. Since I couldn't understand, I was forced to keep watching the sentences appear. At times, I had to start over if I had missed a sentence.

The  music gave me an actual sound to visualizing the stars twinkling and feeling like I myself was in outer space. I loved the simple imagery that the designer chose for this piece at well. as the reader moves his or her mouse around it becomes prevalent that the blue stars carry messages and the white ones don't. I like how the reader can start wherever he/she wants and end wherever he/she wants. The music had a soothing effect as well. I feel like it opens the door to meditative thinking and reflection in the actual mind of the reader. Personally, I wanted to keep reading. It would have been nice if the designer had let the music slightly change as you pressed the different stars and read the respective messages.

This particular e-lit text allows the reader to have a small glance at each of the narrator's most memorable things/people from their past either experienced by them themselves or by their family members.The fact that this reading was relatable to a certain extent intrigued me. The narrator is so welcoming to a wide audience to be in his and his family's personal affairs. The traditional chapters of a book have been transformed into stars in this text and the author decides how long or short his chapters can be.
My key questions from this reading are:
Who is the narrator? Where were they born? How old are they? Why are they opening up themselves to the reading audience? What is the reader supposed to take away from this story? What is the symbolism of water supposed to mean? What does the author mean when they says "Shall I tell you of my water, which is getting thirsty"? How does water get thirsty? Is it a symbol for their soul somehow? How is the narrator so important that the whole world is destined to be their family? Is he or she now dead? Why is the uncle's palace unfinished? Is the uncle's palace a real place or symbolic of something else? Why did the author write in the manner that he did?

No comments:

Post a Comment